Monday, July 22, 2013

Miss Liberty 1: A Radical



            Starting today, and going on for eight weekdays, I shall blog my story “Miss Liberty”. Its table of contents is:

A Radical
Good Glitch
Cornering 3-Demon
Mystifying Dr. Memory
Outnumbering #2
Astonishing JOV
Down with the System!
Lightbringer


*************************************



            Miss Liberty


            Last night I dreamed that I encountered a subversive radical. She was a nonconformist dissident. She was a flamboyant misfit. She was a hooligan rebel outlaw. She was a bourgeois liberal agitator; a most spirited person, out of place in any stable society.
            I met her last night in Guantanamo. She was parading around with a firebrand. This was in full view of the guards; yet they did not see her. But I could.
            I had dreamed myself to Guantanamo to see if all those terrible news reports were true; and I soon saw that they were, and worse was true, too.
            She saw me and approached. “And they do this in my name,” she said.
            I nodded to her. We knew each other; we had met before. The last time was in Tiananmen Square. That time she went by the name Tzu Yu, meaning Spontaneous Origin.
            Or Freedom. She was none other than Miss Liberty, the goddess of democracy herself.

            She was a beautiful lady, but just then angry indeed. She pointed at Gitmo. “Behold government at work!” said Liberty. “For as P. J. Proudhon said;


            ‘To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.’”
            “What to do about it, then?” I asked.
            Liberty said, “Let’s be radical. Let’s go to the top and uproot the System.”
            “What System?” I asked.
            The System! The big System! The System that wants to run everything! The systematic way of thinking! My mortal enemy; the whole notion of System!” said Liberty. “Tyrants flourish everywhere because tyranny rules in the mind! The entire Universe needs liberation!”
            “From what?” I asked.
            “From  robotic thought!” said Liberty. “From programs and conditioning! From soulless minds and heartless heads! From the words that kill! From the yes-no, us-them, good-evil, white-black, on-off trance! From the Machine!”
            “What do you propose to do?”
            Liberty said grimly, “I say let’s stop the clock.”
            “You mean... halt the works?” I exclaimed.
            “I mean let’s go big-league computer-hacking! Let’s wipe the source code! Let’s cancel the master program! It’s time to crash the OS!”
            “But how, Miss Liberty? What with?”
            Miss Liberty looked me straight in the eyes. “With Goedel’s  Incompleteness Theorems. I am going to hack some glitches into cyberspace.”
            “Do you need a scribe?”
            “Come with me, or not, as you please,” she said. She flew into the sky, and I followed.

            Perhaps you have flown in your dreams. Many  people have such dreams. It always seems so easy, in dream-land; but when you wake, the secret vanishes; you forget how to fly.
            But this time I remember! And I’ll even tell you the secret!   
            You can move your hand, can’t you? And you can move your arm too, right? And the upper part of your body, yes? Well, when you fly, you just move your entire body!
            Flight is sight, you see. You move with your point of view, on wings of vision.
            You don’t believe me? I don’t blame you. I didn’t believe it either; but it worked anyhow.


No comments:

Post a Comment